· When the new year arrives, promises and resolutions abound, but few include home improvement. Here are resolutions every homeowner should make.
· Cut energy use: Sealing and insulating ductwork can improve the efficiency of a heating and cooling system by as much as 20 percent, saving $200 per year or more, according to Energy Star.
- Budget for home improvements: Creating a yearly budget for home improvement and maintenance helps prevent overspending, and encourages homeowners to put aside money for major replacements — such as new roofing or a kitchen appliance — that come up every few years.
- Curb water use: The average household uses about 400 gallons of water each day, or almost $700 per year in water and sewer costs. Making a few simple changes, such as installing EPA-certified WaterSense products, could trim up to $200 annually from the water bill. Add to that energy savings from reduced costs to heat water, and the yearly savings could reach $300 or more per year.
· For additional homeowner new year resolutions visit http://www.houselogic.com/
home-advice/home-thoughts/ houselogic-new-years- resolutions-home/.